Opening and Saving Projects
Software Ideas Modeler supports various options how to open and save projects:
- File System - files provided by operating system (local disks, network folders, cards, external storages etc.)
- to open a project file click on File menu, choose Open Project... and Open Local Project
- to save an open project click on File menu, choose Save As... and Save to Local Folder
- Software Ideas Repository - files provided by Software Ideas Server (client must be in the same local network)
- to open a project file click on File menu, choose Open Project... and Open Server Project
- to save an open project click on File menu, choose Save As... and Save to Server Repository
- SharePoint - files from Sharepoint (Sharepoint must be installed on the client device)
- to open a project file click on File menu, choose Open Project... and Open Project from SharePoint
- to save an open project click on File menu, choose Save As... and Save Project to SharePoint
If you are using Software Ideas Server you can utilize the advantages of server projects. Server projects allow you to store your projects on a central server within your network and cooperate with your teammates on a single project in real-time.
How to Create Server Project
If you want to create a server project, firstly, you create an empty project in a standard way - i.e. click on the File menu and choose New. Then click on the File menu and Choose Save As.../Save to Server Repository. Choose a destination on the server and click on Save. From that moment all your changes are saved automatically to the server. Another user can open your project, edit it together with you and see your changes in real-time.
How to Open Existing Project
If you want to open an existing server project, open the File menu and choose Open Project.../Open Server Project.
The Repository Browser dialog will show and allows you to choose a project and open it for editing. The dialog offers two additional options you may find useful in some situations:
- Open offline - your changes will not be sent automatically to the server and no one will be able to see your ongoing changes. You can still save the project to the same file on the server later.
- Lock for me - allows you to prevent other users from editing the file you chose to open. The changes will be sent to the server continuously.
Setting Software Ideas Server
If you have a problem connecting to the server, please check your server settings (open File/Options and go to Server section (tab)).You can find more information about server configuration here.