Configuring Connection to OpenAI API to Enable AI Features
With OpenAI API integration, you can now unleash the power of AI for various features, such as generating diagrams from text or creating example data for ERD entities. This tutorial will walk you through the process of setting up this connection.
- Software Ideas Modeler installed and ready to use.
- An OpenAI API key. If you don't have one, you can get it by signing up on the OpenAI platform.
- Navigate to Settings: Choose File menu and then click on the Options item (in the ribbon interface) or click on Tools menu and then Options (in the classic menu interface). This will open a window with various configuration options.
- Access External APIs Tab: Look for the External APIs tab and select it.
- Configuring OpenAI API: Under the External APIs tab, you will find a group labeled Open AI API. Here's how to set up each field:
- Open AI API Key: This is where you'll input your OpenAI API key. Copy your key from the OpenAI dashboard and paste it into this field.
- Model: You'll see a dropdown menu with options like 'Chat GPT 3.5' and 'Chat GPT 4'. Choose the version of the Chat GPT model you wish to use. For most up-to-date features, 'Chat GPT 4' is recommended.
- Request Timeout: Define how long the application should wait for a response from the OpenAI API. Input the desired time in seconds. For instance, if you set it to 10, the application will wait for 10 seconds before considering the request timed out.
- Confirm: Once you've inputted all the necessary details, click on the OK button to finalize your settings. Software Ideas Modeler will now be able to connect to the OpenAI API.
Using OpenAI Features in Software Ideas Modeler
Now that you have configured the connection, here's how you can use the available AI features:
- Diagram from Any Text Generation: Enter any text, and the software will interpret it and generate a diagram based on the context and structure of the text.
- Documentation Content Generation: For any diagram or entity, you can automatically generate relevant documentation, saving you time on manual write-ups.
- Example Data Generation for ERD Entities: If you're working on an Entity Relationship Diagram (ERD), you can generate sample data for each entity based on its properties.
- Diagram Translation: This feature translates the language of your diagram elements. For instance, if you have a diagram in English, you can generate an alias group in another language, say Spanish or German. Each element in the diagram will have a translated alias in the selected language, aiding in multinational projects and collaborations.
- Glossary Term Generation: Add terms relevant to your project, and the software will generate a glossary with definitions, ensuring consistency and clarity across your documentation.