Decision Model and Notation (DMN)
Help|Tutorials|Diagrams|Diagramming| 3 January 2022 | Dusan Rodina - softwareideas.net
Decision Model and Notation (DMN) provides a solution for describing repeatable decisions within organizations.
The defined decision models allow the better management and monitoring of decisions. They are useful for effective collaboration in process of decision definition.
Decision Model and Notation (DMN) can be used as an independent notation or in combination with BPMN and CMMN.
Decision Model And Notation (Diagram Overview)
These element types are available for DMN diagrams:
- Decision - provides an output for defined inputs.
- Business Knowledge Model - represents specific areas of business knowledge. You can interconnect the individual models to show the relationships between the areas. It may be e.g. a decision table, business rules or a model.
- Input Data - the data used in the process of deciding.
- Knowledge Source - represents the origin of the knowledge (e.g. document, personnel, system)
- Decision Service - captures the decision logic. It represents a reusable unit with the decision model.
- Group - groups related elements.
- Text Annotation - any free text comment.
DMN defines these relationship types:
- Information Requirement - connects inputs and outputs with decisions.
- Knowledge Requirement - connects Decision with Business Knowledge Model or Decision Service to show which ones are needed by the decision logic.
- Authority Requirement - shows the dependency of an element on its source of knowledge.
- Association - connects Text Annotation with any element.