Here are some uses and variations of pyramid diagrams:
- Hierarchical Structure: The pyramid can be used to showcase a ranking system, where the most important item or group is at the top, and subsequent levels below it represent decreasing importance or priority.
- Layered Model: For topics that can be broken down into layers or stages, the pyramid diagram can depict each layer as a distinct level of the pyramid. For instance, Maslow's hierarchy of needs is often presented in a pyramid format, with basic physiological needs at the base and self-actualization at the top.
- Process Steps: For processes that follow a progression or have distinct phases, a pyramid diagram can visually depict each step. For instance, a 5-step process could be represented as a 5-level pyramid.
- Foundation-Based Concept: Pyramid diagrams can also illustrate concepts where a strong foundation is essential for upper levels to exist. For example, the base of the pyramid might represent fundamental principles, and each subsequent level might build upon those principles.
Pyramid Diagram Types
Software Ideas Modeler supports 3 these of Pyramid diagrams:
- Pyramid Diagram: A traditional type of leveled pyramid diagram where each level represents a different layer or stage.
- Segmented Pyramid Diagram: A type of diagram that contains a varying number of elements at each level, starting with one element at the topmost level, and increasing by one element for each subsequent level.
- Pyramid Mosaic Diagram: A diagram type that features a different number of elements at each tier. The topmost tier has a single triangle element. Each succeeding tier increases by two elements. In levels with multiple elements, triangles alternate between an upward-pointing orientation and a downward-pointing orientation.
Creating Pyramid Diagrams
You can access the pyramid diagrams this way:
- Use CTRL+D to quickly open a new diagram tab by pressing the plus button.
- Alternatively, use CTRL+SHIFT+D to invoke the New Diagram dialog.
- Once in the dialog or the new tab, navigate to the Infographics group to find pyramid diagrams.
- To add elements, drag & drop them from the toolbox onto the diagram editor canvas.
- For adding a container, it's recommended to select the respective tool by clicking on it in the toolbox. Then, draw its bounds in the diagram editor for precise placement.
1. From the toolbox, select and drag the Pyramid container onto the diagram editor canvas.
2. Once the container is placed, use the Pyramid level tool from the toolbox to add levels inside the container.
3. If you need to add more levels, click on the pyramid container. The context bar will display the Add level option—click it to append a new level.
Rearranging Levels within the Pyramid Container
Once you've set up your pyramid diagram, it's not uncommon to want to rearrange or edit its structure. Software Ideas Modeler offers intuitive tools and shortcuts to modify the levels within a pyramid diagram with ease.
Using Drag & Drop:
- Simply click on the desired level within the pyramid container.
- Drag it to the desired position within the same container. As you hover over other levels, they'll adjust, allowing space for the level you're moving.
Using Keyboard Shortcuts:
- Click on a level to select it.
- Use CTRL+PageUp to move the level down (bring it to the front in z-order).
- Conversely, use CTRL+PageDown to move the level up (send it to the backin z-order).
Moving to Open Canvas:
- If you wish to isolate a level from the pyramid, simply drag & drop the desired level outside the pyramid container onto the open canvas.
Switching Between Pyramid Containers:
- To transfer a level from one pyramid container to another, drag the level from its current container and release it within the bounds of the desired target pyramid container.
Resizing Levels within Pyramid Container
Apart from reordering and transferring levels, it's also essential to be able to adjust their size to reflect the importance or volume of data they represent. Software Ideas Modeler allows you to easily modify the size of levels within the pyramid diagrams:
You can resize levels this way:
- Select the level - click on the desired level to select it. Upon selection, you will notice handles (small squares) appear around the level. Specifically for resizing vertically, focus on the top and bottom handles.
- Use resizing handles:
- Hover over the top or bottom handle until your cursor changes to a double-ended arrow.
- Click and drag the handle upward to increase the size of the level, or downward to decrease its size.
- As you adjust the size of one level, the software will automatically and proportionally resize the other levels within the pyramid container. This ensures that the levels collectively continue to fit snugly within the container, filling it completely.
Segmented Pyramid Diagram
This diagram showcases a series of triangles that together form a larger pyramid.
How to Create
- From the toolbox, drag the Pyramid container onto the diagram editor canvas.
- Inside the container, add the segmented blocks using the Pyramid block tool.
- To easily increase the number of blocks, click the pyramid container. Then, from the context bar, select the Add block option.
Changing the Orientation of the Segmented Pyramid
In certain scenarios, you may want to change the direction in which the segmented pyramid points. The orientation can be essential to emphasize the flow of information or to better fit the layout of a presentation. In Software Ideas Modeler, adjusting the orientation of the segmented pyramid and ensuring the blocks within mirror this change is straightforward.
Changing Pyramid Orientation
- Select the Pyramid Container - Click on the pyramid container to select it.
- Contextual Menu - Right-click on the selected pyramid container to reveal a contextual menu.
- Navigating to Layout Options - In the dropdown menu, find and hover over the option named Container Layout. This will open a side menu with different orientation options.
- Select Desired Orientation - Choose your preferred orientation from the available options:
- Top to Bottom
- Left to Right
- Bottom to Top
- Right to Left
Adjusting the Default Block Shape
After changing the pyramid's orientation, it's crucial to modify the shape of the blocks inside the pyramid so they align with the new direction.
- Accessing Properties Sidebar - With the pyramid container still selected, locate the Properties sidebar on the right side of your screen (or wherever you've docked it).
- Navigating to Default Shape Type - In the Properties sidebar, look for the Default Shape Type dropdown menu.
- Selecting the Matching Shape - Depending on the orientation you chose for the pyramid, select the corresponding shape for the blocks:
- If you chose Top to Bottom, keep it as Up Triangle.
- For Left to Right, change to Left Triangle.
- For Bottom to Top, opt for Down Triangle.
- And for Right to Left, pick Right Triangle.
By following these steps, you'll ensure that your segmented pyramid's blocks seamlessly align with the pyramid's primary direction, ensuring a cohesive and clear representation of your data or hierarchy.
Pyramid Mosaic Diagram
This intriguing diagram is filled with triangles of alternating orientations to form a cohesive larger triangle.
How to Create
- Initiate by dragging the Pyramid mosaic container from the toolbox onto the canvas.
- Use the Pyramid segment tool to place segments within the container.
- To add segments to the mosaic container, you can also use the context bar and choose the Add segment option.