Converting Conceptual Data Types to Database Specific Types
When working with data modeling in Software Ideas Modeler, one often encounters the need to transition from a conceptual model with basic data types to a more detailed model tailored to a specific database. This conversion is crucial for ensuring the accuracy and functionality of your database design. In this article, we'll walk you through the easy process of converting conceptual data types to database-specific types.
Accessing Diagram Properties
- Start by opening your data model in Software Ideas Modeler.
- Right-click on an empty space within the diagram editor. This action will bring up a context menu.
- Select 'Diagram Properties' from this menu to open the Diagram Properties dialog.
Setting the Type Set
- In the Diagram Properties dialog, switch to the General tab.
- Locate the 'Type Set' field. Here, click on the ellipsis button on the right.
- A new dialog will appear, displaying a variety of predefined type sets for common database servers.
- Browse through the list to find the type set that matches your specific database. If you can't immediately find it, start typing its name to filter the list.
- Once located, select your desired type set and click the OK button.
Converting Data Types
- After setting the new type set in the Diagram Properties dialog, confirm your choice.
- Software Ideas Modeler will then ask if you want to convert all types in the current diagram. Select 'Yes'.
- The system will automatically convert all conceptual types to the chosen database types.
- Some data types may require additional tweaking—for instance, setting the length of varchar attributes.
- You can make these adjustments manually to ensure each data type precisely fits your database requirements.
Utilizing Auto Resolve Relationships
- If your model lacks relationships and uses standard naming conventions, you can use the 'Auto Resolve Relationships' feature.
- Go to the 'Review' tab on the ribbon, find the 'Helpers' group, and click on Auto Resolve Relationships.
- This feature will automatically create relationships between entities based on naming patterns.