How to Generate SQL DDL Change Scripts
If you are working on long-term projects, you know that the database model needs to be updated to reflect the new requirements. SQL DDL script generator in Software Ideas Modeler allows you to generate change scripts for your data models.
If you want to generate a change script for your data model, you will need to enable the change tracking. You can do it from:
- Ribbon / Review (tab) / Change Tracking (group) / Track Changes (button)
- Menu / Tools / Change Tracking / Track Changes
Generate Change Scripts
Open your entity-relationship diagram and edit the data model in the diagram editor or use the Properties dialog to edit the desired entities. When your model update is completed, you can start the generation.
- 1. Open Source Code Generation dialog (Ribbon / Process (tab) / Generation (group) / Source Code (button) or Menu / Tools / Generate Source Code).
- 2. Choose SQL DDL in the Language drop-down
- 3. Choose SQL DDL - Changes in the Template drop-down
- 4. Choose the path where should be the generated script files saved using the Output directory box
- 5. Click on the Generate button
New Changes Batch
If you want to generate a new change script with new changes from this point, you should accept the current changes using the button Accept Changes:
- Ribbon / Review (tab) / Change Tracking (group) / Accept Changes (button)
- Menu / Tools / Change Tracking / Accept Changes
SQL DDL Script Generation
Software Ideas Modeler allows you to generate various types of scripts to capture the changes in the data model. It includes:
- CREATE - for new entities
- ALTER - for changed entities
- DROP - for removed entities
- DELETE - for deleted data items
- INSERT - for new data items